1. Purpose of the Society
The purpose of the Society is:
- To provide a forum for Oxford and Cambridge alumni to meet and network in Shanghai, and for visitors from Oxford and Cambridge Universities to meet with those alumni.
- To provide a link between Oxford and Cambridge Universities and their alumni living in Shanghai.
2. Officers and Committee of the Society
- The Officers of the Society shall be the President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer, all of whom shall be Members.
- The President and Vice President should be from different universities.
- The Committee will consist of the Officers of the Society plus three Committee Members, all of whom are Members of the Society.There should be three members from one university and four from the other.
- Officers and Committee Members will normally serve a two-year term. They will be appointed at elections at the Annual General Meeting.
- When Officers of the Society leave or move into a new role, another Officer or Committee Member will be voted into that position by the Committee. When a Committee member leaves, a replacement Committee Member from the Membership will be appointed by the Committee.
3. Committee Members Roles and Responsibilities
- Committee members are required to attend at least half of all committee meetings.
- Committee members are required to organise at least one event for the Society per year.
- The following roles and responsibilities are defined:
- President: provides vision and leadership for the Society
- Vice President: takes on the President’s responsibilities in his/her absence
- Secretary: maintains the mailing lists (Google Groups), web site and communicates with members
- Treasurer: looks after the Societies finances (if any) including collecting money at events
- Committee Members at large: help out at Society Events
4. Management of the Society
- Each Member of the Society has one vote at any meeting of the Society. Only Members attending the meeting will have the right to vote, and there will be no voting by proxy.
- The Constitution of the Society and any changes to the Constitution will be valid once approved by the Members of the Society. The normal forum for this approval process will be the Annual General Meeting of the Society.
5. Annual General Meeting
- The AGM will normally be held at the Annual Dinner in January each year.
- The quorum for the AGM shall be 20 members.
- Two weeks notice shall be given of the AGM, and of the business to be conducted.
- Any member may propose a change to the constitution by informing the Secretary at least two weeks before the AGM. The proposal will be on the agenda of the next AGM. Changes to the Constitution require a two-thirds majority of those present and voting at the AGM.
- All members have the right to see a copy of the constitution by a requesting to the Secretary.
- Any person who has graduated from Cambridge or Oxford Universities, and who lives in the People’s Republic of China, shall be eligible for application for admission as a Member except where such person’s membership would contravene the laws or policies of the government of the PRC.
- Members may be asked to produce their degree certificate in support of their application.
- Applications for membership should be made to the Secretary.
- It is the responsibility of Members to advise the Secretary of any changes in their contact details, especially their e-mail address which will be used for regular communication.
- Membership is free to all qualified members.
Events shall be held once a month. The nature of the events will be decided by the committee with input from members.
In the event of an activity where money is collected from ticket sales or sponsorships or other means to raise funds for the Society, the accounts should be made available to any member who wishes to see them.